Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day!

I appreciate you all taking time out of your very busy lives to come to the cluster conferences last week.  I love to do those right away so we are all on the same page with 2nd grade. 

I want to clarify something that I believe I told one of my groups incorrectly regarding the pre-test for Spelling.  When we have a Holiday on a Monday we will take the pre-test that Tuesday.  So tomorrow we will take a pre-test on our spelling words.  If your child is sick on a Monday they will just wait until that Friday to take their spelling test. 

If I sent any missing forms home with your child last week, please send those back as soon as possible so I can get them turned into the office.  Also, please send in the Time for Kids and Scholastic checks as soon as you can.  I would love to get all of that taken care of this week.  Thank you.

I sent home a Parent Letter with your child Friday that tells you how to access your child's Pearson Success account for our Reading test.  I am so happy to tell you that we took our Reading test Friday and all keyed in our answers on the computer successfully.  I will continue to monitor the kids as they do this until they are all comfortable with it.  I was very pleased with the grades for our first test.  I will be putting in a baseline test that the kids took the first week of school for Reading.  I want you to know that this is just a baseline assessment to see where your child is at the beginning of the year.  It is not a grade that is counted against them.

We started sharing our -About Me- posters Friday and we will finish sharing them Tuesday.  The kids are doing an excellent job presenting them to the class, and we have all enjoyed getting to know each other better. 

Your child will receive a study guide for learning the seven continents and four bodies of water this week.  They do not need to learn how to spell them, they just need to recognize them and know where they go on the map.  We will work on these for a while before testing.  I just wanted you to have a heads-up.

Please don't forget to look for homework to come home tomorrow written down in your child's binder for the whole week. 

We have a science project coming up that will require a large amount of potting soil.  If any of you would like to send a large bag in please shoot me an email.  I already have the other items.  Thank you!

Your child will take the STAR assessment this week in order to get their reading range for their library books.  Once we know their ZPD they may check out books on their level and take AR test on them.  You will receive a print out letting you know how your child did on the STAR assessment. 

Story this week: Expring Space With an Astronaut
Genre: Expository Nonfiction
Phonics: Long Vowels CVCe
Comp. Skill: Main Idea and Details
Comp. Strategy: Text Structure
Grammar: Subjects
Math: Number Concepts

Please email me if you have any questions or cocerns.

Have a super week!



No comments:

Post a Comment