Saturday, September 22, 2012

Class Pet

I am sure you have heard that our class fish Blue Bell is no longer with us.  If one of you would like to pick out a new Beta Fish for us to have as a pet please let me know.  Your child may name the fish for us.  We have the fish tank clean and ready.

I need your help with two very important things.  The first thing is regarding check outs during the day.  If at all possible, please schedule appointments as late in the day as you can.  I know sometimes we have to take the time we are given, but if you have a choice please make it as late as you can.  It really hurts your child to miss Math in the afternoon.  If you can schedule at 2:00 or later that would be very helpful.  The other thing I need your help with is conduct.  If your child brings home a conduct sheet I really need your help at home with enforcing the importance of following the classroom rules.  We are a very social class, and we are learning the correct time to talk during our school day.  If your child is talking during instruction it is going to hinder them from learning, along with their classmates.  I have given much grace and reminders regarding this, but we have been in school now long enough to understand the correct time to visit.  I am also in the middle of making some changes to our seating arrangements in the room.  I am going to do everything possible to create the best learning environment for your child.  Thank you so much for your help with both of these things. 

Your child brought home a very important piece of paper this past Thursday.  It gives you information on how to check on your child's AR progress as well as Math Facts info.  As a parent, I absolutely love to receive emails telling me that my child took an AR test and what they made on it.  This is a great way to stay updated on your child's progress with AR.  I have been very pleased at how well we are doing in the classroom.  If you feel like you need to read and quiz your child on their library book before they test just send me an email and let me know you would like to send a post it on the book before they test on it.  Please remind your child to bring their library books back to school every day. 
I can't seem to give the kids enough time to work on Math Facts in a Flash.  I have a feeling that the Math Store has a lot to do with their motivation, but I am impressed regardless.  I wanted you to know that I do set up a schedule to make sure that every child gets on Math Facts when we do it as a class.  I wish we had more time and computers to do it more often.  Remember that your child can practice at home, but can't do the actual testing unless they are at school.
If your child didn't bring in a yellow folder at the beginning of the year, they need one.  We keep important information and passwords for testing in this folder.  The kids also take the folder with them each time they go to the library.

I will be out of the classroom this Friday to attend a conference in Birmingham.  Mrs. Pinel with be with the kids.  She has been working at Blount for many years and she knows exactly how we do things in Room 124.  Your child will be in very good hands.


THE JUST GIVE CAMPAIGN IS GOING GREAT! Thank you for all your support.


JUST GIVE
 
 
Story this week: The Strongest One
Genre: Play
Phonics: Consonant Digraphs
Comprehension Skill: Realism and Fantasy
Comprehension Strategy: Monitor and Fix Up
Grammar: Commands and Exclamations
Math: Place Value
 
Our Dirt Babies are growing like wild so you may see them this week.  If they do come home, your child will have directions on dressing the dirt baby, giving it a hair cut, and bringing it back in to share the next week.  We'll see how they look around the middle of the week.  Don't forget to "wash" their hair in water if they do come home.  We don't want any hair to turn brown.
 
We are going to be learning about our community in Social Studies.  Your child is going to bring home an assignment to take a picture and document one place in our community.  We will be putting all of our places together to make a class book. 
 
Please email me if you have any questions or concerns.  Have a super week!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment