Sunday, April 29, 2012

Just in Case you haven't heard ....

THE CATERPILLARS ARE HERE!!!!!

I get to hear so many great quotes every day in our classroom.  However, I heard one quote on Friday that sums up how I think everybody was feeling.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!  As a student was picking out his special caterpillar to put in his container, he lifted the container right up to his face and said, "Hey Little Buddy, I sure have been waiting on you to arrive for a long, long time! It sure is nice to finally meet you!" 
We had just enough time to get our catepillars picked out and in our individual cups before Field Day.  On Monday we will begin the study of the life cycle of a butterfly.  I can guarantee you that you are going to hear more about your child's caterpillar over the next couple of weeks than probably anything else.  And yes, "frass" is a real word.  If you haven't heard it before, your child will fill you in.  :)

I thought you might enjoy one more sweet moment on another day in our classroom.  Our whole group reading story for the week was about our flag and the origination of it.  So we learned a lot about Patriotism and what it means as well.  We listened to a recording of Whitney Houston singing the Star Spangled Banner as the words were displayed so we could sing along.  Our story taught us about how this song came about with Francis Scott Key.  We all remembered singing it either at a ballgame or somewhere else, but we didn't know the story behind it, which made it even more special to us.  So toward the end of the week we decorated our own flag cake and as we were right in the middle of decorating, a student started singing very softly The Star Spangled Banner.  The next thing I knew, the whole class was singing while decorating, and others stopped decorating to salute the flag.  Honestly, for once, Mrs. Culp was speechless.  It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen.  Then we stopped because a debate broke out about what the correct words were to the song.  :)
Your kids amaze me daily.  I truly treasure each of them dearly! Thank you for molding them into who they are.  They make you proud!

On to other business...

Your child brought home a field trip form on Friday.

The Book Fair begins tomorrow.

If any of you have pictures from the Zoo you would like me to post on the blog, please email them to me.  Most of my pictures are of the kids that were in my group after lunch.  My, how we loved the bird house!

I wanted to make sure that you all knew that you can save any of the pictures that I post on our blog.  You may want to go back through the slideshows.

Field Day was a blast! Thank you Mrs. Bosch for providing us with water, we definitely needed it! Thank you Mrs. Chappell for providing us with a cold treat to cool off after it was over! We were HOT, HOT, HOT! Thank you Mrs. Cantey for having more energy than any child out there! You will never grow old!

Story: A Birthday Basket for Tia
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Phonics: Syllables -tion, -ture
Voc. Strategy: Context Clues
Comp. Skill: Draw Conclusions
Comp. Strategy: Summarize
Grammar: Using Commas

Math:  We will begin Chapter 20 on Spatial Sense - congruent, symmetry, and slides, flips, and turns.

Please email me with any questions.  Also, please let me know if at any time you would like a conference. 

Have a super week!




No comments:

Post a Comment