Tuesday, January 3, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I can't wait to see all of my favorite 2nd grade faces tomorrow! I am always surprised at how much my friends seem to change in the two weeks we are out for Christmas. They do a lot of growing over the break. I know we are going to have a lot of catching up to do, and I can't wait!

Due to the fact that we have a short school week, our reading test on Friday will be open book. It will also only count as a daily grade instead of a test grade. We will still thoroughly cover the story.

We will have our end of the Unit Benchmark test next week for Unit 3.

I also wanted to give you a heads up in Math. Once we finish Chapter 11 we will begin learning about money. It would be fantastic if you could get out coins with your child and start practicing ahead of time. At my house for my son, I filled a bag with coins and we get it out and practice a little every night. They need to practice with real money. When we get a little closer to the money chapter I will be sending home a letter with your child requesting for them to bring in a few coins for them to use when we learn about money. I take the bags up every day and store them safely. I am happy to report that last year we didn't have a single coin misplaced. I am hoping for the same record this year. :) We are extremely responsible in room 124! Once we are finished with money they will bring their bag of coins back home.

Please also practice telling time with your child. We do a little of this every day with our calendar math, but the more practice the better. We will be covering Telling Time in the future as well, and your child can't have too much practice.

Story this Week:  A Weed Is a Flower
Genre: Biography
Phonics: Comparative Endings
Comp. Skill: Cause and Effect
Comp. Strategy: Monitor and Fix Up
Grammar: Verbs - am, is, are, was, were

Math: Chapter 11 This Chapter will be a review of 2-digit addition and subtraction. 

A great big thank you to Mrs. Bosch and Mrs. Harris for organizing an awesome Christmas Party.  Thanks to all of you for all you did to help make it wonderful for the kids.  They thoroughly enjoyed it!  Make sure you enjoy the new slideshows I added.  When you are viewing the pictures, click on the title that goes with that post so you will see the entire picture.  When I post more than one slideshow it will sometimes show half of the picture unless you click on that specific post.

Please email me with any questions or concerns.  Thanks for all you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment